Monday, September 27, 2010

Labor of Love

It's been over two weeks since I last blogged. Over two weeks ago, my life was absolutely ruined. In the best way possible.

September 10, 2010 at 8:34am, Jason and I welcomed a little Abraham Faumana Jason Manalli into the world. He weighed 8lbs, 2oz, was 19.5 inches long and was absolutely perfect. It was love at first sight...

But before I move forward, let's go back just a little...

Here's the picture I took the day before. The last picture of me pregnant. :)


At 3:30 that morning, I woke up to a curious pain in my lower abdomine. Being only 39 weeks, I totally thought nothing of it, because I was so sure I wouldn't have this baby for at LEAST another week. So, I went back to sleep... That is, until the next one came... 4 minutes later. What a nuisance. I tried going back to sleep. Only to be woken up AGAIN.

Ok, seriously?!

So, I switched on the closet door light and tried timing what I had supposed were contractions. But I was so tired I kept falling asleep and then losing time. THEN, the pain increased.

Now I'm freaking out a bit.

I looked at AAAALLLLL the pregnancy books that lined our shelf.

I never read a frickin' one.

Ok, well, I read ONE, but didn't even get all the way through it! I grabbed the one I knew best and looked through the contents.... "beginning of pregnanccccyy..... nutritionnnn..... labor storiessss.... LABOR!" Licked my fingers and quickly tried to turn the pages to what I thought would hold the key to my delima: "Am I really in labor or is this false? Oooorrrr do I have to just go to the bathroom??" But before I could get there, another contraction came... *breathing* "whoo-whoo-hee. whoo-whoo-hee".

Jason stirred and then woke up.

"You ok?"
"Yeah, I think so..."

My back was facing him, I was hunched over, book in one hand....

"What are you doing?"
"I'm trying to figure out if I'm in labor..."
"Why don't you just call the midwife?"
"Oh, yeah... good idea"

So the short is that I was obviously in labor. Duh.

I labored at home for a bit and then decided after about an hour or two to go in. When we arrived, I was still unsure if this was what I was supposed to be feeling. I was going to feel so stupid for waking these ladies up if they were false contractions. They had me get into the tub and from there, the contractions got more intense.

Alright, I'm convinced. 

Jason went into my bag and grabbed a CD that I had put together. Instantly the presence of God came as the music started and I heard, "In the glory... of Your presence... I find rest... for my soul..." Jason came next to me and we basked in that moment and cried... Welcoming Holy Spirit was the best thing we could have done. He was there.

Mom, Dad and Tiana came after the midwives told us that I was already 100% efaced and 5cm dilated. Mom assisted along with Jason in coaching, Tiana took pictures and Dad waited in the family room.

All in all, my labor was about 5 hours with about a half hour of pushing. When they lifted Abe's little body and placed him on my chest, I could not believe that he was already here. Overwhelmed by the moment, I instantly started crying...

Mom holding my hand while I was laboring

Jason on the other side holding my hand

 Abraham grabbed Daddy's hand

Weighing him: 8lbs, 2oz! 


The tub at the birthing center

Shortly after both mommy and baby were cleaned up, my family went to get some food and the midwives left Jason and I with Abe. As we held our baby, the tears began to flow again and we began to pray:
"Father, we give back this gift that you've given us... Thank You for entrusting us with a piece of Your heart... Thank You that he has a destiny... Abraham is a arrow in our quiver, a mighty man of God that will contend at the enemies gate... He will know the name of the Lord all the days of His life...He is called to be a lover of the Most High..." The music had not stopped, so it all seemed like one continuous act of worship... from labor to delivery to resting...

Abraham: Father of Nations, Faumana: (Samoan) To build in the Spirit; Authority, Jason: Healer

No matter the story for each mother, one thing I know... She is resilient. Absolutely courageous and powerful in her own right. So many women and families have welcomed a new little one into their home and hearts this season. Each experience is unique. But all of them are woven together to tell of a wonderful God who has a perfect design with the common thread of a love that knows no bounds and has the power to conquer each heart.

Ok, and now... moving forward to present... 2 and 1/2 weeks later, as I type this, Abe lays peacefully asleep on my chest. Wow... dude. Freakin' gnarly. I'm a mom. Jay's a dad. And of course, every parent feels this way, but I'll just say it for the sake of saying... I think we might have made the cutest kid on the planet. ;) 

Abraham: I look at you and still can't believe sometimes that you're actually here! Mom and Dad are totally in love with you. You are the raddest little baby and we are excited to do life with you. We love you always... xoxo 





5 comments:

  1. I was sooooo happy to read your birth story, it is what I wish for most mommas and what is totally possible. I love it that your surrender to God lead to a beautiful birth. Thanks for sharing.

    Farrah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mariya! Beautiful. He is Good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So amazing. I know the total feeling of euphoria and so incredible how your body takes over- God designed our bodies to know what to do during childbirth!! I only wish my experience had been as beautiful as yours and a little less traumatic.... BUT I would go through it all again to have Charlie :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to make me bawl...thanks!

    Abe is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...congratulations on th birth of your darling son. I was so moved to read of your complete surrender and dedication to God of your son...from his moment of birth (and before probably...only just found your blog so don't know!) What a great future you are setting him up for by placing God at the centre of his life right from the start! Awesome! God bless you both and you wee man...can't wait for my grandchildren to start being conceived!! lol (first daughter married in April and son gets married in 3 weeks...glory to God!!)
    thanks for sharing..blessu heaps!
    Jessie, nelson, new zealand

    ReplyDelete